Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resumed atripila
Sep 25, 2011

Hi Doc. McGOwan,

In continuation of my earlier mail when i wrote I had stopped the medication. Well I stopped on 14th Feb'11 and after 45 days VL was < 20 and CD-4 515. But 4.5 months it was 9869 and CD=4 dropped to 248. So I resumed Virady. After one month the readings are as under VL-69, CD-4 315, CD3 1289, CD-8 941. Much as the depression has set in I am taking the Virady.

Looking for your views. Also just out of curiosity, there is path breaking news of Sangamo Bio siciences saying they may have functional cure. A plethora of news articles has come in the last one one year with no further news. Koronis, Some company in Malaysia along US drug company trying some compound of a tree, Australia about boosting immunity. What are the chances we may actually see a cure in one years time. All it takes is one legitamate company to announce. I am sure dozens will follow.

best regards

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am glad to hear that you were able to regain suppression of your HIV after restarting meds...best of luck for continued health for you.

The work by Sangamo Bio siciences has been presented at the major HIV conferences this year. You may have seen a report about a man in Germany with HIV who had a bone marrow transplant to treat leukemia and had a "functional cure" because they used bone marrow that lacked CCR5, which is an important receptor that HIV uses to attached to CD4 cells. Since we cannot perform bone marrow transplants on everyone Sangamo BioSciences developed a technique in which people with HIV have a sample of their CD4 cells taken out and treated in a process that genetically alters them so that they do not make CCR5. Then they transfuse them back in. They grow in the blood like untreated CD4 cells but cannot get infected by HIV. So you start to build up a group of resistant CD4 cells in the blood.

They have treated a few patients so far and results are encouraging to date...let's keep our eyes on it and fingers (and toes) crossed. In the meantime staying on fully suppressive treatment is the way to stay healthy enough to some day possible take advantage of these new remedies.

Best, Joe

Previous
really worried took two dna pcr test help
Next
Dry mouth

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.