Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

really worried took two dna pcr test help
Sep 25, 2011

Im frm india i had high risk exposure with a sex worker in july 2008 i took rapid elisa at5,15,21weeks plus an hiv dna pcr at 5months all neg.second exposure in 2010 oct.again sex worker,.protected,but the condoms is removed afer the climax,in such a way that the vaginal fluid over the condoms came in contact with penis hole.then i took hiv dna pcr in mid december.third exposure is also similar to second exposure on 1st aug 2011.i took hiv dna pcr after 2and5week both not detected plus rapid antibody test by using kit at government hospital in which they giv result 2to5mins at2and4weeks its neg.i didnt rely on that.so i took rapid elisa using immune filtation technique at 45days.its neg my questions are 1)how reliable is hiv1proviral dna by real time pcr.?the report said it follows a combination of nested fluroscent by using thermal cyclic cylinders for incresed sensivity. 2)i took two hiv dna pcr which is done at2and5weeks 3)how reliable is rapid elisa using immune filtration. 4)if some thing is causing symptoms say swollen lymph by hiv will hiv pcr hav the potential to detect.? 5)i've read in the post about a guy that he contracted the hiv on april15 and diagnised positive in early may.will it be possible? 6)can hivpcr giv false negitive? i read false positive is possible but nt false neg.How true is this?i read in us it is possible. 7)how reliable are my test and what percentage u award to my results pls ans do i need further testing.?

Response from Dr. McGowan

The best schedule of testing is to get an ELISA at time of exposure, after 4-6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. DNA PCR is not recommended for testing of adults, it has use for babies exposed at birth. If a person has symptoms of acute (recent) HIV infection an HIV RNA PCR can be helpful and is a very sensitive test because the amount of virus in the blood after a newly acquired infection is very high. In fact the RNA PCR is more likely to be falsely positive which is why we do not routinely use it to diagnose HIV. Since you had an unsafe sexual encounter in August 1st, it is about 6 weeks, get your ELISA, and repeat in November and Feb 2012.

Take steps to avoid future unsafe exposures by using condoms for sexual activity and don't mix alcohol/drugs with sex.

Best, Joe

Previous
using towls and transmisson
Next
Resumed atripila

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.