blood in nose

i have some blood in my fingers..i ve inserted fingers in ma nose..what are the risk of transmission of hiv?? how long hiv survive out side the body?? what are the risk of hiv blood transmission from eye nose and open wound???

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am assuming the blood on your fingers was from someone else (how it may have gotten there is another question).

As I have mentioned several times on this site. The risk of getting HIV in this way is negligible. HIV is present in relatively low amounts in the blood and these levels drop by 90-99% in a few hours, especially with drying. The mucous membranes (the lining of the nose) is not easily infected by HIV. Fresh blood in an open wound would be a risk and that risk would depend on the amount of HIV in the blood and the amount of blood that got into the wound. Washing the wound would further decrease that risk.

Joe

drying of blood
Meds