Insurance Endings Going From Atripla to Self Pay Generic

I just read the question about the person with the unplanned 4 week break from Atripla. I am doing my best to make sure the same does not happen to me. By that time I will be just a couple months shy of being on Atripla for 3 years. The results have been fantastic --undetectable viral load, last check my highest CD4 count ever. My US insurance ends in March. I intend to make a seamless transition to Viraday, which I can afford as a self-pay. (By the way, I live overseas and Atripla is not yet available where I am) Does this plan sound reasonable? Do we know when Atripla patent will expire and become a generic drug? Any suggestions for me other than what I have planned out??

Hello and thanks for posting.

Since Viraday and Atripla contain the same medications, there shouldn't be any problem in switching from one brand to the other. (Viraday is not available in the US and Europe) A possible alternative to explore, particularly if you'd be willing to take two, rather than one pill per day is to take Truvada (tenfovor + FTC) with efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva); it's possible that the costs of these outside of the US is lower than the triple coforumlated versions.

FWIW, the Atripla patent will be around for a while still.

Hope that's helpful, BY

Protease Structure
thank you