Why not Epzicom instead of Ziagen and Epivir

A Spanish fiend om mine who's recently been diagnosed as hiv-positive, has been put on a regiment of darunavir 800mg + ritonavir 100mg + 2 tablets of abacavir (600mg) + 250mg of lamivudine in liquid form. He complains about having to take the liquid, which is horrible and because of that is less therapy adherent than he should be. I wonder why he cant just take the Epzicom combo, which only contains 50mg more lamivudine. He is a kidney patient and on dialysis 3 times a day. His doctor claamis that 300mg would be too much for him, but as i see it, having to take the liquid is doing more harm than good. Can you sort this out?

Hola and thanks for posting.

I can tell you why the Spanish doctors have started your friend specifically on the liquid+pill versions of his medications. One possibility is that your friend is quite small or perhaps has poor kidney function (both could require a separated dose of the abacavir (Ziagen) and lamivudine (Epivir). It could be also what's in stock; it is sometimes the case that the doctors (I hear this particularly from Europe) won't start the coformulated medication (such as Epzicom/Kivex) until it's clear that the patients tolerate all parts of the pill.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to write back if you have any other questions. BY

will my cd4 rise?
Need advice please.