Attacking side effect [Note in editing: please share your efavirenz experiences]

Hello from Kuala Lumpur, I started combivir+stocrin on 13 Sept 2011..after 3years diagnosed +ve with current CD4 290 and viral load 46,000

i'm doing good with combivir, but unfortunately i surrender to the stocrin...nightmare, vomitting and sometimes when i wake up at midnight i can feel this world is shaking..

My question is, may i not to bother those side effects? or else once i take the regime nothing else i can do but must stay at home taking rest?

My question might be silly but i need to stay strong and i don't want this virus to make me sick. As long as i can manage to control the side effect, it'll consider good for me...

Thanks

Hello and thanks for posting from Malaysia.

You question isn't silly at all. It is important that you understand the medications that you take and how to best manage any side effects.

You're on a well tested first-line treatment and sounds like you have rather typical early side effects of the efavirenz (STOCRIN, SUSTIVA). These symptoms are the most severe in the first few days (maybe a couple of weeks) after starting and usually subside with time. It's usually best to take the medication just prior to going to sleep on an empty stomach, so that you sleep through the symptoms.

I hope that is helpful. I've asked our other readers to share their experiences with the medication.

Be well, BY

Truvada, Isentress & Light Colored Stools
dose adjustments