Travel with really low CD4???

Hi! I got diagnosed with HIV on Aug28th. with CD4=84 and CD% of only 3.8% VL=98000 I had allergic reaction to Bactrim, so Im on Dapsone and Fluconazol right now. I will start my meds this week. I had planned a trip to Spain for two weeks, starting exactly next week. Should I postpone this trip?. Im worried about side effects or an OI ruinning my trip and giving me a hard time far away. Should I stay at home for vacation to get my CD4 recovered a little bit, or its "relatively safe" to go on this trip. Thanks so much for your advise, and for this great page.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your so recent diagnosis. I'd be cautious about travel with your very low CD4 counts. It is good that you're already on the preventive antibiotics, but I'd feel much more comfortable on recommending travel if you were already receiving the antiretroviral medications that you so dearly need.

The real issue is getting sick (or exposed to illness) while you're away from home. Minimally, I'd recommend getting travel insurance (one that includes evacuation coverage- I try to have that in place every time I travel internationally). However, if it's at all possible, it's safer to postpone your trip a month or two, get on your medications, know that they're working and tolerated and then then have a great trip to Espana.

Be well, BY

shelf life of meds
Truvada, Isentress & Light Colored Stools