Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Changind Meds
Sep 16, 2011

I have been on truvada, lexiva and norvir since 2005. I am undetectable, CD4 on 900, and in good health in general. My Doctor told me I can try to change to Complera. I have my doubts and I would like your opinion about this new Medicine. I am afraid about the resistance it can create, and that is mostly use for peope starting their regime etc.. please help

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question. Good docs should always discuss new developments with their patients, it keeps you up to date and your know what your options are. Sometimes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the best approach. Any change has to be considered very carefully.

Since 2 of the 3 medicines in complera are in truvada, the only differnce is the 3rd drug (rilpivirine/Edurant in Complera which is an NNRTI versus Norvir/Lexiva which are Protease Inhibitors).

Some things to consider: Protease Inhibitors which include Norvir are better at suppressing virus if you have a drug resistant strain from past treatment than combinations of truvada + an NNRTI. So if this is your first combination and your virus did not carry drug resistance mutations prior to treatment a switch may be possible.

Some of the things to think about with Complera: Have to take it with a good meal (but not a protein shake- take with something you have to chew).

Avoid antacids (antacids should be administered at least 2 h before or at least 4 h after rilpivirine) and do not use with PPIs (proton pump inhibitors).

Common side effects include: insomnia and headache.

Rilpivirine seems to work best when the viral load was less than 100,000. This may be less of an issue since your virus is already suppressed and the medicine just needs to maintain it. Although there have been no studies on switching people over to Complera from other combiniations.

So there are a few things to think about.

Best, Joe

Previous
medication
Next
shelf life of meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.