Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Persistently detectable viral load - next treatment options?
Sep 6, 2011

Dear doctors, I hope you can help me think through my next ARV treatment move.

I was diagnosed in 8/09 with VL 8000 and CD4 360 (22%), and no drug resistance on my genotype test. I began taking Atripla in 12/09, and recorded the following results: 3/10 - VL 2800, 4/10 - VL UD, CD4 470 (27%); 7/10 - VL 95; 10/10 - VL 1060, CD4 560 (36%); 12/10 - VL 393; 1/11 - VL 87, 4/11 - VL 660, CD4 510 (31%).

Due to the persistently detectable VL, I made the switch in 4/11 to Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir. I then got labs done on 7/15: VL 301, CD4 489 (35%). VL still stubbornly detectable.

I've also tried to get resistance genotype tests done in 4/10, 10/10, and 4/11, but they always come back inconclusive (insufficient virus to run the test).

My doctor is now concerned that R/T/N alone is not working, and he suggests that we, 1.) Do another VL reading at end-August, 2.) if VL is still detectable, we either add an additional ARV to R/T/N, or go on a 1-month "treatment interruption" in order to run a genotype test. He suspects that I may have FTC resistance that didn't show up on my pre-treatment genotype test in 8/09, and would like to have confirmation before moving forward.

So, my question is, if my VL does stay stubbornly detectable, which of these options seems most reasonable? If I add another ARV, which would it be? I've also had another doctor suggest to me a switch to Selzentry + Isentress + Truvada (contingent upon a favorable Trofile test). That doctor believes the S/I/T combo could be less taxing in terms of long-term side effects, particularly as it relates to PI-associated lipohypertrophy, and that S/I/T has significant T-cell regenerating potential. My current doctor tells me he would be willing to prescribe S/I/T, but that he's concerned about the lower "barrier to resistance" for S/I compared to the Norvir-boosted PI in my current regimen, particularly for a patient with suspected but unconfirmed drug resistance, and a virus that is proving difficult to suppress.

I should add that I'm extremely compliant with my medication (likely >99% adherence, if not 100%), and that a 2x day dosing regimen doesn't worry me. I believe I'm in extremely good health - early 30s, strong organ function and healthy lipid profile, marathon runner, non-smoker and drug/alcohol free. Regularly screened negative for HCV, syphillis, gonorrhea. And of course, I hope to stay this way for a long time!

Thank you kindly for your help. I really appreciate the wisdom and support you provide in this forum.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thank you for this question, I am sorry to hear about this vexing issue.

I have had a few patients who have had low level persistent viremia or blips. One thing to look for may be a concurrent infection (usually a herpes virus) that may be intermittently growing and may cause soem immuen activation...herpes simplex type 1 or 2 and occasionally Human Herpes virus 8. Suppression of these viruses, if active could help.

As far as changing the HIV meds, I would favor a trial intensification. I agree with your doctor that you are looking for potency now and a boosted PI regimen offers that. Perhaps a trial intensification with Isentress would help answer the question. I would not favor a treatment interruption since that has not been shown to have a good yield at picking up hidden mutations.

Best to you, Joe

Previous
generic drugs
Next
re: starting soon

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.