first line drug regimen - atripla

I started Atripla 8 weeks ago and am doing great on this drug... CD4 is 448 and VL is 57 (down from 96,000). My question is... Atripla is considered the "preferred" regimen for people just starting treatment for HIV infection... Does this mean that the pill only works for a certain amount of years and then I will have to switch to another regimen with more pills... I guess my question is could i potentially stay on this one drug for life if its working? Or... will do people just have to continually switch drugs to keep HIV in check? confused.

Hello and thank you for posting.

ATRIPLA (tenofovir, emtricitabine, efavirenz) is indeed among several preferred first-line treatments in the US.

If medications are well-selected and adhered to, there's very limited risk of treatment failure or that there's a timer that dictates when treatments might fail. While medications have tended to improve over the years, there's no reason why in principle that one couldn't stay on their first-line regimen for a very long time.

In our clinic, failure of first line treatments for resistance has become very rare in recent years (because of improvements in both effectiveness and tolerability), and switches in treatment happen because of side effects or simplification of regimens.

I hope that helps, BY

hepititis c a1
loosing a lot of weight