The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV high risk exposure
Aug 31, 2011

In late January had unprotected anal sex with a transgender escort in which the condom broke found out is HIV and hsv 2 positive. I took HIV antibody test at 3 months, 4 months and 6 months all negative results. also paid for a western blot thinking it was a test that detects the virus at 5 1/2months negative results. Had early infection symptoms and now half rash on face and small red bumps on chest legs and arms. I tested positive for Herpes 2 . THREE QUESTIONS PLEASE HELP !!!! 1. Can herpes 2 cause symptoms such as night sweats, swollen lymph nodes etc. 2.When should i retest since the person is positive had sex with ??? 3. Other than western blot being a confirmatory test what do it look for specifically ?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Yes, herpes simplex can cause swollen glands (very common) and, during the initial infection, can cause fevers and painful ulcers. The Western blot is a more Specific test for HIV infection. Some people test positive on the screening Elisa test but negative on the Western blot, that is because it is easier to have a "false positive" Elisa than a Western blot. We usually do not run the Western blot unless the screenig Elisa is positive because there would be no hint that infection needed to be confirmed. If you have had a negative HIV test 6 months after your sexual contact there is no need to do any further testing. Joe

Rifampicin and Sustiva level in Blood
A date error

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint