Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

strange symptoms

Hi, I had unprotected oral sex (gay) both gave and recieved, the next morning my underside of my top lip had swollen, and i developed a small cluster of mouth ulcers (approx4), i had sti/std tests carried out about a week later, more through fear than any major symptoms. they all came back clear, i have just had a second test for hiv and syphilis(3months later). about 4 weeks after gettting tested i was aware of what i believ to be swelling in my groins, i then noticed my tongue was white(although i had'nt checked my tongue or even noticed it's appearance much in the past) it appears to have a quite creamy coating in mornings. Is this thrush?. About 4 weeks later i read up o symptoms of hiv, i may be paranoid or a hypochondriac, but i soon felt swelling in my neck and arm pits, no pain just a bit uncomfortable, this has lasted for about 8 weeks approx.is it symptoms of hiv? and is it possible for these type of symptoms to occur in this space of tim since potential exposure? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Response from Dr. McGowan

Following HIV infection a person may have a constellation of symptoms which may include fever, swollen glands (lymph nodes), sometimes a rash (red spots on the trunk and also the arms and legs including the palms and soles), sometimes white spots in the mouth, sometimes boddy and joint aches. None of these, however, is unique to HIV infection. These symptoms can be seen in many viral infections such as mononucleosis. So to be sure you would need an HIV test. Most people who become infected have these symptoms about 2 weeks after the exposure. Since you tested negative 3 months after the exposure it is highly unlikely that the symptoms that you describe were from HIV infection. If you want to be extra certain have the test again at 6 months.

Best, Joe

infection due to flies
Does this study weaken the good adherence argument?