hiv and pregnant

On thursday I tested hiv positive and I am 7 months pregnant,what are the risks involved and how can I protect my baby from being infected,my partner of 1 year tested negative,how is this possible

Hello and thank you for your post.

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. There's much to cover, but first know that it's entirely possible for you to have a healthy, happy baby. To do this, time is of the essence, because you'll need to begin HIV medications (antiretrovirals) in the near future. The goal of these medications is to bring your HIV viral load to undetectable levels before your baby is born. In doing so, the risk of HIV transmission to your child is very, very low. Talk to your doctor to see who in your community is experienced in taking care of HIV+, pregnant women. Here in Denver, we'll refer such patients to a joint program between the University of Colorado and The Children's Hospital. Among women who have been in care, we haven't had a baby born HIV positive for over 10 years now.

As for your partner, it's great news that he's tested negative. If he were under our care, the warrants a repeat test in about 3 months or so. Overall though, if both tests are negative, we can assume that you acquired HIV from some other route than your partner (perhaps a previous partner).

Last, I wish you a safe pregnancy and healthy child. Don't hesitate to write back with any questions. BY

I have a few questions for you
loosing a lot of weight