PEP and RNA PCR test

I am a technician working in ICU.I hv taken every precautions, but remembered of touching stained blood in d canula hub.Also assisted d doctor in giving central canulation of subclavian vein and intubation of trachea as well as urinary catheterization. Though i have no prick or no

break in continuity of skin, but d index finger had one minor cut 10 days back, now only epidermis is torned: other layers ok.

Here d. Doctor started me with PEP drugs, zidovudine and lamivudine from last 7 days(started within 12 hrs of exp), but it is causing gi upset to me and not tolerated well d drugs. Want to discontinue with d result of RNA PCR. And check d antibody level at one and half and three months. The pt was strongly positive for HIV.

Hello and thanks for your post.

If you did not have a puncture (or other open) wound, there's no risk of HIV infection from touching blood stained medical devices.

As such, based on what you've described, if you were my patient, I would not recommend PEP. If you've not had a HIV antibody test recently, it's generally recommended (independent of your employment situation) as part of routine health care by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Be well, BY

do i need hep b booster shot?
fat on upper back but no signs of buffalo bump