stopped taking ART

I have been on ARTs since 2007 and last year in June i stopped because i had travelled for weeks and forgot to take them along with me. Since then i have been healthy without being any sick. as of last 3 months my CD4 was at 671 going up. I have not shared with my doctor yet about this, am afraid but i keep his appointments and get refills. My question is, Should i restart the ARTs and will have no effects? please healp

Hello and thanks for your post.

While perhaps not the first recommendation, it's not a crime to stop your medications. There are a wide variety of reasons why some people stop, and traveling can certainly be one of them.

What's important is that you let your health care provider know about the interruption, since being off for a while can cause your HIV viral load to become detectable- not because of drug resistance, but because of the interruption.

There shouldn't be any problem in restarting your medications (other than a possible misinterpretation of your monitoring labs). Whether you start now or later, it's reasonable to keep your scheduled appointment.

I hope that this is helpful, BY

warts
Mr