HIV Meds & Supplements

I'm currently on Truvada, Prezista(400mgs 2 in evening) & Norvair (100 mgs). I also take an 81mg Asprin for a genetic blood clot disorder in my family, .05 mgs of Clonazepam 3 times a day (am, afternoon & pm) for severe panic/anxiety disorder that am on SSD for long before contracting HIV, plus have been taking many other supplements. Have been doing research on natural supplements as cannot tell a difference when I do not take my supplements & have been told because they have chemicals, additives, etc in them & need to get supplements/herbs that are 100% natural to get the bext benefits. Therefore have done much research & found the products listed below. I would like to to know all of these are safe to take along wiht my HIV meds before ordering them. I also have HPV (the strain that causes abnormal paps) & HSV 1 & 2 shown only in my bloodwork never had an outbreak yet either genital or oral. Have had this positive test in my bloodwork for 5 or 6 years now even before contracting HIV in 12/2008. The HPV has been over 20 years or more. My last labs done in June 2011 were CD4 1206 & VL undetectable. Thanks so much for your help in advance...I know many take supplements/herbs along with their meds & my Dr's have all encouraged for the most part but yet on my HIV medication printouts it clearly states "do not take with benzodiazephines, or herbs found in supplements or dietary supplements. Please advise if ok to to take while on the above mentioned meds. I have also found doing research that panic/anxiety can be caused from both low blood sugar & low blood pressure in which I have both..my blood pressure was 88/44 a week ago when I saw my Dr...they never question but have learned this is NOT healthy. I would like to be able to get on these supplements to fix these issues naturally & wean off the Clonazepam all together as have been on 7 years now.

For Elimination of HSV 1&2: https://secure1.securewebexchange.com/quickclear.net/how-it-works.php

For anti-viral formula: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NFC045/ItemDetail

Nutritional Formula: (PLEASE NOT THIS PRODUCT DOES CONTAIN ST JOHNS WORT..HOWEVER DOES NOT BREAK DOWN THE DOSAGE AS COMBINED WITH OTHER HERBS UPON CALCULATING DOSAGE & KNOW THERE ARE WARNING AGAINST TAKING THIS SUPPLEMENT WITH HIV MEDS) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NFC045/ItemDetail

Magnesium Oil: (for replacement of Fosamax & helping with panic/anxiety) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWU481/ItemDetail

Chromimium (for low blood sugar) http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWD005/ItemDetail

Have also researched that Licorice Root can help in increasing my blood pressure...am 98 lbs 5'1 1/2". The Nutrition Formula has this in it already, as dos the antiviral mentioned above.

I do hope that you respond to my questions as am waiting to get these items ordered in order to improve all areas of my health issues not just HIV alone.

Again I thank you very kindly for your response in advance.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'm confused, you don't notice any differences when you take the supplements, yet you want to know if it's safe? I'd want first to know if there's any benefit. Drug interactions can be a significant issue for either safety or effectiveness, especially if you're taking a HIV treatment regimen that includes a protease inhibitor with ritonavir (NORVIR). Unfortunately, there are few drug interaction studies with supplements, owing to the often-proprietary nature of the products.

Indeed, before believing the claims of anti-viral effectiveness of Echinacea from the unregulated supplement industry, I'd strongly suggest searching the various topics at PubMed, the National Library of Medicine.

The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York offers up a very heavily referenced review on this and other supplements. The site states, "data from human clinical trials have shown that it is ineffective in preventing common cold caused by rhinoviruses or in treating upper respiratory infections.

So in my expert and humble opinion (as well as your personal experience), I'd skip most of the supplements, eat a balanced diet and leave only a standard daily multi-vitamin, and (if your diet doesn't get enough of this) vitamin D/calcium.

Best of health to you, BY

condom failure
absorption