|CD4 Count to low
Aug 9, 2011
My sister was tested positive last year and she was pregnet then. she started taking her meds last year and give a healthy baby this year , the baby is negative but her cd4 cound is declining and now is sitting at 168. does that mean she is HIV/Aids now ? and is it possible for her cd4 count to recover
Response from Dr. Young
Hello, thanks for your question and sorry for the delay for answer. I've asked my friend and colleague, Dr. Jair Garcia to compose this answer:
Your question is very interesting because we first thought that you was asking because of the CD4 count of your newborn nephew. Those carry us to study the CD4 count in HIV-negative children and discover that the CD4 count increased in birth, peaked at between 6 and 12 months of age, and then decreased gradually by 2 to 6 years. (1)
But reading again your question seems us to re interpret it and if you are asking for the CD4 count of your sister, that brings us to a women's HIV health rule: that the CD4 count does not decline in the postpartum period. (2)
So, responding your answers: yes, maybe she have AIDS now, and also yes: her CD4 count can recover if she takes the right medicines.
Hope she will recover soon.
Dr. Jair García-Guerrero
(1) Sagnia B, Ateba Ndongo F, Ndiang Moyo Tetang S, Ndongo Torimiro J, Cairo C, Domkam I, Agbor G, Mve E, Tocke O, Fouda E, Ouwe Missi Oukem-Boyer O, Colizzi V. "Reference values of lymphocyte subsets in healthy, HIV-negative children in Cameroon."Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2011 May;18(5):790-5.
(2) Wegienka G, Havstad S, Bobbitt KR, Woodcroft KJ, Zoratti EM, Ownby DR, Cole Johnson C. Within-woman change in regulatory T cells from pregnancy to the postpartum period. J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Jan;88(1):58-65. Epub 2010 Oct 18.
Why both Truvada and Efavirenz
- How Easy Or Hard To Get Hiv Through Intercourse?
- Primary Hiv Infection Rash On Back
- Can Antibiotics Affect The Results Of An Hiv Test?
- Vasectomy And Hiv Transmission
- Thrush In Mouth And Vagina Passed During Sex
- If You Have Sex With Someone Hiv Postive What Are The Chances Of You Becoming Infected?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.