Availability of HIV meds in Mexico

First, thank you for this informative web site. I am 58 years old and considering moving to Merida, Mexico. However, I am wondering about the availability of HIV meds in that region (I am currently taking Atripla, with great results and in otherwise terific health). Can I rely on the social medical coverage as a resident. If so, is there a waiting period to qualify for social medical coverage? Or do I need to get a private health insurance program? If so, can you recommend a health plan in Mexico that accepts pre-existing conditions? Thank you.

Hello, thanks to you for your question. I've asked my friend and HIV specialist colleague Dr. Jair Garcia from Monterrey, Nuevo Leon (Mexico) to assist with your needs.

Here are his comments:

"I want to share you that Mexico's social security (called "Seguro Popular") can cover the antiretrovirals of everybody in the county. It is because in Mexico antiretroviral therapy for free and considered a human right. Seguro Popular include AIDS and HIV infection in their treatments as "Catastrophical Costs". In this field are also included some types of cancer and other diseases.

If you are a resident in Mexico and can you prove it, you can receive the benefits of social security (Seguro Popular). This also is available for the migrant people from other countries. (1) But if your stay in Mexico will be just temporary (months), you just have to talk about this with the physicians at Meridas CAPASITS (this is the name of HIV clinics in Mexico). I work in the CAPASITS of Monterrey, and when we receive patients from other cities or countries, we have stablished a special program for them. Also, I want to say unfortunately that Atripla will not be available for you, but you can receive the three drugs (Efavirenz, Tenofovir, Emtricitabina) separately.

In this web page you can see info about the Mexican Social Security ("Seguro Popular")

I hope you can continue your ARV and enjoy your travel to my dear country!"

Dr. Jair García-Guerrero

Atripla 4 wk break in therapy
are these hiv meds safe to split?