Atripla 4 wk break in therapy

I started taking Atripla (my first treatment therapy) about 2 years ago. After 1 year of never missing a dose, I went 4-weeks without then started up again due to insurance issues/change in docs/stupidity. I have not had any comparison tests or follow ups yet, but feel fine. I have not seen my new doctor yet. Do you think a 4 wk break could cause resistance or other damage? I know it was stupid, and would like your opinion- thanks!

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'm not sure that your situation qualifies as stupid, but certainly part of the unfortunate challenges in the real world of medical care.

While a break in medications might not be ideal, the risk of developing drug resistance (especially since your virus was assumed to be undetectable when you stopped) is very low. Other than the potential for the resumption of that initial efavirenz-induced mental fog, there shouldn't be any other "damage".

What I'd recommend in this situation is to inform your new healthcare provider of the situation; we'd monitor your viral load differently than if you were just continuing Atripla without interruption; typically we'd get a viral load test before resuming medications and at 1 and 3 months- just to be certain that there weren't any problems with resistance.

I hope that's helpful. Be well, BY

Rash, allergies
Availability of HIV meds in Mexico