Rash, allergies

Hello doctor,My CD4 now is 285, I started the first ARV one month ago, My combination is: 3TC+AZT and Efevirenz. But I had rash, so my care provider had to stop my treatment because the rash was too much for me. I just started my treatment again with a new replacement. My Formula now is 3TC+AZT and Alluvia, but also, after 8days drinking, I still have rash. I wonder, is there any people like me? Is there any other options for me without rash? Or, I have no other way? Thank you so much for your reply.

Hello and thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear that you've had difficulty in starting your treatments. While it was reasonable to assume that the efavirenz was the cause of your rash, since both of your regimens contained 3TC and AZT, it's entirely possible that your rash was the consequence of one of these two medications.

Yes, there are people (though uncommon) who experience rash to their medications, and a thoughtful strategy that substitutes one medication for another can help identify and eliminate the offending med.

So, depending on which country you live in and what medications are available, your doctors should be able to construct a medication regimen while working around the drug allergy (or rash).

Be well, BY

Re-infected
Atripla 4 wk break in therapy