Jul 28, 2011
Can someone who has been diagnosed HIV+ be reinfected. Is the virus mutating from person to person. Is it possible to know if one's strain is the same tha your partner has?
| Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
Yes, a positive person can be super-infected with a second strain of HIV. This is fortunately not common, but is well documented in the literature.
Sometimes drug resistance testing can pick up evidence of a new strain, but more typically, specialized (usually research only) tools are needed.
Hope that helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Kissing Cold Sore Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- White Tongue After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.