Jul 28, 2011
Can someone who has been diagnosed HIV+ be reinfected. Is the virus mutating from person to person. Is it possible to know if one's strain is the same tha your partner has?
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
Yes, a positive person can be super-infected with a second strain of HIV. This is fortunately not common, but is well documented in the literature.
Sometimes drug resistance testing can pick up evidence of a new strain, but more typically, specialized (usually research only) tools are needed.
Hope that helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Painful Ejaculation After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Urination After Insertive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Receiving Head Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Can You Get Hep B From Dried Blood?
- Will Blood Test Show Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.