HIV and Travel?

Im newly diagnosed and have been on meds (atripla) for the past six months. I am required to travel with my work to various countries, such as central asian republics, russia, eastern europe and the middle east. What, if anything, other than my meds, should I take with me as part of my travel first aid/health kit? Any suggestions on what I should include when putting together a kit would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Dr. McGowan

It is important to be sure that you are ware of any health advisories in the countries to which you are planning to travel. The cdc travel site is a good resource: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

Vaccinations: especially for influenza, hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, typhoid (polysaccharide vaccine if your CD4 count is low), meningococcal and sometimes yellow fever.

Malaria prophylaxis if you are traveling to an endemic area.

Something to treat travler's diarrhea such as ciprofloxacin.

Take a mosquito repellent that contains DEET (30-50%).

Avoid consumption of untreated water, salad bars, cut fruit. Drink and wash teeth with bottled water, only eat fruit that you have peeled yourself, eat food that is fully cooked and "steaming" hot when served. If going out at dusk/dark wear long-sleeved pants/shirts.

Keep you meds in original, labelled bottles.

Joe

Atripla
Is this just a blip or something to worry about.