Pregnant and decline in CD4 count but Viral load <40

Hi Doc! I received my results and noticed that my CD4 count has declined from 743 down to 83, but the viral load is <40 I am 21 weeks pregnant. I have been on Lamzid and Nevirapine even before I fell pregnant. My doctor has not raised any concerns but I am worried. What could be going wrong? I take my medication everyday, twice a day. Please help. Regards TGC.

Hello TGC and thanks you for your post. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Now to your labs-- unless you happened to have been very sick at the last test (CD4=83), with your continued undetectable HIV viral load, it would be very unusual to see such a large drop in CD4 counts. I'd suggest looking at the CD4 percentage (if available) to see if they correlate.

My best guess is that one of the two tests (probably the later) is an error and should be repeated.

Hope that helps and wish you well, BY

Change of meds
treatment simplification