Should I start my meds now?

I believe that I seroconverted in mid-April when I had rash all over my body including my palms and was diagnosed positive in early May. Since then, I had two blood works done. The first had CD4 485, Viral load 366 and four weeks later, CD4 603, Viral load 223.

Given these numbers, should I start my meds or should I continue to monitor?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hello and thanks for your post.

First, let's address the question of seroconversion- most people who are recent seroconverters have very, very high viral loads (and sometimes, low CD4s). It's only after several months do the viral loads reach setpoint. As such, to have a viral load in the hundreds after recent conversion would be decidedly unusual. Based on this, I'm not sure that you seroconverted in April or May.

In any event, you do have a very low viral load- indicating that your body is doing a very good job in controlling the virus.

So, while most people likely benefit from thinking about starting treatment, with this low viral load (confirmed on two occasions), I think that you could continue to monitor your health (unless there were other confounding issues, such as concern of transmission or active viral hepatitis).

Hope that helps. BY

HIV and AIDS
HIV and bone marrow question