following up : infected couple but too much confusion

Dear doctor, Following my last post, as by your recommendation, my GP has ruled out all ather infection, CMV, EBV (only IGG, past infection), Toxoplasmosis, TB, Lyme, lupus, arthritis....etc all negative. All my acute symptoms gone away, now, I am left with some neurological symptoms, and specially persistent generalized swollen lymph node (although they are as my doc said SHOTTY ), axillary, elbows, groin, femoral, poplietal, Continued fatigue, ringing in the ears, swollen tongue and dark circle under the eyes. The worrisome symptoms that my wife is still experiencing: night myoclonus, and lately persistent headache and fatigue, dark circle under the eyes, and occasional vomiting (the doc did not know the cause of all her symptomes, as they had done many test on here, but without succeeding to have a diagnosis). I have done about 30 Elisa (4th generation, and rapid INSTI ) test up to 8 months, 1 NAAT Aptima (30 copies), 1 viral Load RT-PCR (48 copies), 1 DNA PCR ( 80 copies) all at 6 month. My wife has done three 4th generation antibody test : 3, 6 and 8 months all negative. My question are : 1- What do you think Dr by analysing those symptoms of mine and my wife, the doc said that they may be due to HIV, as they started 3 weeks after exposure to a confirmed HIV+ person. He tried to discus my case with the local authority as you recommended, but they declined his request, they say, it must be a discordance in result, for the case to be admissible for further investigation, as my elisa still Negative up to 8 months, they did not want to look at the case, even with the typical symptoms. 2- I knew lately that the HIV+ women whom may contaminated me, is diagnosed, and is now on treatment, could the virus mutate on her, by meds so it is now very divergent so undetectable on test . 3- I read a case here in this forum, in Dr. Currier posts, where the guy had delayed seroconversion up to 9 months, and so did her girl fiend, that was due to the virus specificity : Here is the link, http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q598.html.

Could it be the case for me ? 4 Me and my wife, want to conceive, but as we have both strong HIV symptoms (as our GP said) , and confirmed exposition, we are afraid to bring to life a baby with this disease. Till when should I test (my GP said up to 5 years), to safely, be reassured that the infection did not occur, so to conceive safely ?.

Thank you very much Dr for your inestimable help.

Response from Dr. McGowan

It is good that you have continued to persue a work up for your symptoms. You should continue to work with your GP as things evolve.

The link you refer to had some gaps (such as the frequency and type of testing done), also the link was from 1998. Today's tests are much more sensitive and can detect antibody sooner (also combined antibody-antigen tests can shorten that window to as little as 2 weeks). In addition, you have had numerous PCR and NAATs which would pick up infetion before antibodies develop. These effectively rule out HIV as the cause of these symptoms.

I agree with the local HIV experts that further work up for HIV from that past exposure is not needed.

I hope you can get to the bottom of your problem, but have some assurance that HIV is not the cause.

Best, Joe

3 Questions
Atripla+Extra dose of Efavirenz 200 mg