my lab 2011

Hello Dr, I would be very short. My test results were as below. on January 2011. 1. CD4 count 1090 and CD4% 27 2. PVL was 102 and the lowest dectetion as per the result was 400 . 3. all other tests were normal. Could you please guide about my status as to how many years am i away from meds. Can one live a long life now are medications getting better to live easy life.

thank you

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The CD4 count is high (the CD4% is not normal but reasonable). and the viral load is low. This combination is a good one in that it predicts a slow progression. It may be several years before you would "need" to start meds. You could, of course choose to start treatment at any time. It is important to continue to have your blood tests monitored regularly (at least 2-3 times per year) and practice safe sex.

Best, Joe

worries
3 Questions