Needle and Hiv

Hi Dr, please help me im really getting paranoid. I slept in the couch last night, and my so called friend was in th next room i dont know her HIV status. when i wake up i feel like no pain but i felt weird about my friend like she has done something. i checked my whole body and found a red bump and spot on the back of my neck. i was thinking if this girl prick me with an HIV virus on the needle while im sleeping. can you tell me if id feel the needle while im sleeping? i dont know how to identify needle mark, it kinda looks like it. please help Dr. id appreciate it a lot.

Response from Dr. McGowan

It depends on how deep a sleeper you are. Of course you would know your friend better than I, but I do not believe there has been a case of HIV spread in the way you describe. I think all people should know their HIV status so that they can get treatment if infected and stay negative if they are not. So, nothing to do at all with this episode (or lack thereof) if you haven't been tested go ahead and get it done.

Joe

I miss a dose for 2 and a half hour.
worries