Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Needle and Hiv
Jul 24, 2011

Hi Dr, please help me im really getting paranoid. I slept in the couch last night, and my so called friend was in th next room i dont know her HIV status. when i wake up i feel like no pain but i felt weird about my friend like she has done something. i checked my whole body and found a red bump and spot on the back of my neck. i was thinking if this girl prick me with an HIV virus on the needle while im sleeping. can you tell me if id feel the needle while im sleeping? i dont know how to identify needle mark, it kinda looks like it. please help Dr. id appreciate it a lot.

Response from Dr. McGowan

It depends on how deep a sleeper you are. Of course you would know your friend better than I, but I do not believe there has been a case of HIV spread in the way you describe. I think all people should know their HIV status so that they can get treatment if infected and stay negative if they are not. So, nothing to do at all with this episode (or lack thereof) if you haven't been tested go ahead and get it done.

Joe

Previous
I miss a dose for 2 and a half hour.
Next
worries

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.