Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Foreskin rash, Need help fast !!!
Jul 24, 2011

I have what they ,My HIV M.D. is calling a yest infection ,or Diabetic lesions on my foreskin !! I strongly disagree .I have tested Neg. for all other STDS !! Even masturbation hurts and inflames the skin, plus i just had another TIA (Stroke) I am in Charleston WV Pleas some one HELP ME !!!!!!!!!! My HIV + is going on 9 years now only on Atripla !!!!!!!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your post.

What you describe sounds like "balanoposthitis", which is an inflammation/irritation of the foreskin and glans (tip) of the penis. I think you mention that you have diabetes, if that is true than this condition is more likely to occur. It can be caused by trauma (getting the foreskin caught in a trouser zipper), or chemical irritation (excessive washing or perfumes/lotions, etc), or too little washing (especially if you do not fully pull back the foreskin when bathing). Infection with fungus (yeast or candida) is common, but bacteria can also be involved. Rarely it can be linked to other conditions (such as Reactive arthritis- which includes joint swelling, eye irritation as well). If your viral load is fully suppressed and CD4 good then this condition is not likely to be caused by your HIV.

Best, Joe

Previous
scratches
Next
I miss a dose for 2 and a half hour.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.