The Shot For HIV

I have a 20 year old daughter, born with HIV. Recently her body is showing resistance to her medications. She is alergic to Sulfa medications, which I know complicate things. She is also has had a hard time swollowing pills. The result not taking her medications. She is loosing weight 5ft 2in 88 lbs. Her hair is also falling out her last cd 4 count was 100, and her viral load was in the millions. She is trying to take some of the liquid meds, but she says they make her feel bad. I am HIV postive also, but dont have these issues. Her doctor and I are at our wits end, watching my daughter wasting away. She looks like she just came out of a concentration camp. She does eat but its not enough. Could you help find any avenue to take and some information of the shot to see if it is a viable option. Your help is much appreciated.

Mom Lossing it in NY

Hello Mom in NY and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's difficult situation. A first comment is to make sure that her healthcare provider is very experienced with HIV medications and drug resistance. A compilation of her treatment and resistance history (or comprehensive genotype, phenotype and trofile tests) will allow one to formulate what current (or experimental) treatments have activity against her virus.

There may be some strategies to improve the tolerability of medications, appetite or aid in pill swallowing as well and with her low weight, these would appear to be important secondary goals.

As for the "shot", I'm not sure exactly what you refer to. There is one FDA-approved medication which is injectable (FUZEON) and a few others in the research pipeline.

Hang in there, BY

I got pneumonia and I'm not on meds yet.
Truvada/Isentress Pep regiment - missed by 15 minutes