Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

taking atrpla and its results
Jul 18, 2011

Hi Doc, thanks for your help. I started Atripla in January. I got my results last week and they are the following: CD4 357, CD4% 23.2%, VL Undetectable. I started my treatment with CD4 255, CD4% 16.4%, VL 70 K. Tryglicerides 204, Colesterol all good but HDL (lower than normal, 28) but Neutrophyles are lower than the minimun (2.2 k/ul). Should I be worried about this??? The rest all good. I never missed a dose but havent been able to take it at the same time (always between 10 pm and 2 am, just twice at 5 am). Am I at risk of resistance? IF I keep taking the pill everyday could I think that this treatment would last for many years?? Thank you very much,

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thank you for your post and questions.

Sounds like your adherence to your medications is fine. There's no need to worry about a late dose or two in 6 months (ie., this alone won't risk drug resistance or treatment failure). So, yes, if you continue to take your medications, I plan on many years of successful treatment.

As for your lab results, you've had an excellent response to treatment with an undetectable viral load and much improving CD4 count and percentage.

Low neutrophils should be monitored, but typically improve with time (though it would be good to specifically ask your healthcare provider about this).

Be well, BY

Previous
Headache While on PEP
Next
Am i Hiv+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.