Change of meds

I am a 37 yo male HIV + since 2009, and I have been taking a mix of truvada and zidovudine, I have been undetectable and everything has been great, but now my doctor says I should change for something more "modern" like Kaletra I really did not want to change, because I am doing all right, do you think this change is good for me? Please It is really important for me to get an answer. Thanks

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

This is the tried and true issue: "if it ain't broke don't fix it" versus "would you trade for what is behind the curtain".

The main issue is that zidovudine may cause long-term metabolic side effects (fat loss, lactic acidosis) and that 3 NRTIs together are less potent than other combos.

So you have to ask is it broke:

Has your viral load always and at every visit been undetectable: if not than you should consider a switch.

Do you have any of the metabolic effects: Fat changes (lipodystrophy), anemia, fatigue/muscle aches? If so than you should think about a change.

There are many options (Kaletra is one, but there are others to discuss as well, including potential once daily combos).

Best, Joe

Started Medication
why PEP need 28 days