Started Medication

Yesterday came back from the hostpital.And as my CD4 count dropped the doctor has placed me on the following for 2 weeks. Then another test.

05/24/11 = CD4 Count: 338 cells/mm3 05/24/11 = CD4 %: 28 %

Some i understand, some I dont. As I live in a non english country things can and do get lost in translation.

Is below ok? From what i understand Meds are all generic (not branded)

Help?

Started = 06/09/11 Started Retrovir 300 mg/mL 1 x per day @ 20:00 hours

Started = 06/09/11 Started gpo-vir z 250 mg/mL 1 x per day @ 08:00 Hours

Started = 06/09/11 Started Epivir 3TC (LAMIVUDINE) 150 mg/mL 1 x per day @ 20:00

Thank you Tim

Response from Dr. McGowan

Dear Tim,

I am glad that you will have access to treatment and are looking for information on staying healthy and fighting the virus.

The combination that you will end up on is a 3 drug combo of AZT (zidovudine/Retrovir) + lamivudine (3TC or Epivir) and nevirapine (Viramune). Which has been a tried and true combination for many years. You would need to be watched for signs of low blood counts (anemia), rashes and liver abnormalities (hepatitis).

All 3 drugs are present in the gpo-vir z. After the first 2 weeks you will increase that to twice a day and stop the other 2 meds. This is because during the first 2 weeks you have to build up the dose of nevirapine. So you only take the gpo-vir z once a day, but still have to take the other 2 twice a day (the retrovir and epivir do not have to build up their dose, they have to be given at full dose from the start). After 2 weeks if you ahve none of the side effects the full dose (twice a day) of the gpo-vir z can be safely given (which contains all 3 drugs) and the other 2 can be stopped.

I hope that makes sense.

Best, Joe

Drug options
Change of meds