HIV development, please help, i need know

Hi Dr. Young, please help me with your answer Dr, I was thinking that i might been sticked by a needle by somebody but i feel like its only in skin surface, i can see a red dot on my skin. my question is: if the needle has fresh HIV blood on it will it develope on my body? do i have to wait more than 6 months or a year to get tested? im so freaking out and cant sleep. please help me

Hello and thanks for your post.

The risk of HIV transmission from your exposure is low. Overall, the risk depends on several factors-- first (of course) is whether the needle had HIV in it at all (ie., was the previous user HIV positive). Next, was the needle solid or hollow (the later is higher risk) or had visible blood on it.

Deep injuries (not at all what you're describing) are higher risk than superficial wounds.

As for HIV testing; we recommend that people with possible exposures get tested as soon as possible (since medications, if administered within 72 hours of exposure can further reduce risk), then at 1 and 3 months after the exposure.

Remember too, that HIV isn't the only blood-borne infection. One should be evaluated for hepatitis B and hepatitis C if there has been significant exposure.

Be well, BY

sustiva mutation
risk of discontinuing tenofovir...how safe is it to stop?