Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV /HBV confection
Jun 21, 2011

Dear sir . My cd4 is 37. I have both HIV and HBV . Before start ARV Now I am treating pcp nyumoniya . I am worried about it my cd4 will Increase after treatment. I hope your answer give me more courage And make strong.

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thank you for your questions.

Your health situation is indeed serious, but your health and CD4 count can certainly improve. I advise even my most ill patients that a normal life expectancy is entirely possible.

Current US treatment guidelines for HIV/HBV coinfection outline the basic strategies for laboratory workup and treatment (which should include tenofovir and either FTC or 3TC in addition to a 3rd HIV medication).

In addition, newest data strongly demonstrate benefit if persons diagnosed with active opportunistic infections (such as Pneumocystis pneumonia) start HIV medications as soon as possible, preferably before completion of the treatment for the OI.

Overall, if I were your doctor, I'd get you prepared to start HIV medications in the very near future. I would expect that you'd respond to treatment in a matter of weeks; CD4 cell counts improving in a few months.

Be well, BY

Previous
shouldnt I be on meds?
Next
colonoscopy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.