Missed reyataz/norvir/truvada by 5 hours

Hi Dr,

I missed my dose of reyataz/norvir/truvada by 6 hours yesterday due to an unexpected change in my schedule. I normally take it around 8:30am, but the previous day I had taken it around 11am. My doctor had told me I could take it within 3 hours or so of the last dose and still be safe. How critical is it that I was not able to take the dose yesterday until 5pm (6hrs late?).

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

It is very good that you have been on top of your meds, and yes it is best to take it at the same time every day. The blood levels of your particular meds do not drop rapidly so you have a little wiggle room. So it is better to take it as soon as you remember (in this case 6 hours late) rather than miss it entirely (24 hours late). The most risky time for a missed dose is at the start of therapy when the viral load may not yet be undetactable and there is still virus growing. Once the viral load is undetecable it is less risky being late by a few hours, the virus will not "wake up" that fast. Best, Joe

need peace
How fast can i start transmitting HIV