Malaria medication and HIV DRUGS

Hi I am going to the dominican republic on the 22nd June I am taking nevirapine and truvada and have been on meds for 10 months.. is there any contraindication to certain anti malaria medications and my hiv drugs available and which one would you recommend , hope you can help

thank.. Richard, Wales, UK ..

Response from Dr. McGowan

Hi Richard,

You will enjoy visiting the Dominican Republic.

Right now malraia prophylaxis is recommended for travel even to resort areas (except inside the cities of Santo Domingo or Santiago). There are no drug interactions of note between your HIV meds and malaria prophylaxis, which is usually chloroquine in that country. (Also if you are given malarone or mefloquine or doxycycline...all are safe with your meds and are acceptable for prevention in the DR). In addition you should bring mosquito repellant that contains DEET (up to 50% concentration..the higher the concentration the longer it will last), be sure you are vaccinated and protected against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, tetanus. Be sure to take usual travel food precautions (bottled water or fizzy drinks are OK, avoid salad bars or opened fruits that you have not peeled yourself, and have hot food that is steamimg and thoroughly cooked). Enjoy and have a great time.

Joe

PS Do not forget to bring the condoms!

flomax and hiv treatment
Disclosing status to siblings and family