Artificial insemination or IVF

Hi Joseph, I am positive man,my partner is negative now.We want to have a baby .I plan to do sperm washing first.And I want to know which is better to have a healthy baby,artificial insemination or IVF?How much it will cost?How long it need? Can I do this in Northshore university hospital?Thanks! (My doctor told me it is safe if I do the artificial insemination by a squirt at home,how do you think about this?)

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your questions.

You and your wife should be able to safely have a child and avoid infection with HIv if you work with an HIV specialist and HIV-knowledgeable obstetrician.

Risk of transmitting virus from an HIV+ man to an HIV- woman can be reduced by several ways:

Be sure that you viral load is fully suppressd to undetectable levels (while this reduces risk it doesn't eliminate it since the sperm may still contain virus even if the blood is undetactable). Sperm washing before atrificial insemination can further reduce the risk. Plannig the insemination during ovulation (when the woman is releasing eggs) can increase the chances of success with minimizing the need for repeated exposure to the women. Use of Pre-exposure prophylaxis which means that your wife (the unifected partner) would take a short course of antiretroviral therapy under the guidance of her HIv experinced obstetrician.

North Shore University Hospital has a fertility center that may be able to help, in addition there is a well established group at Columbia Presbyterian (Dr Sauer), their number is 646-756-8282.

Best,

Joe

hiv transmision
Renal Parenchymal Disease