studying or being abroad

Hello and thank you very much for all the support that you represent for us altogheter with the team of prepared people in the topic of HIV. You are a very important source of information for us which help us to live better.

I'm Mexican and I'm 21 years old. I'm still studying my carrer and I'm about to finish. I'd always thought about studying or going for some time like a semester to another country in Europe, Canada or another place, but... life is life and sometime it changes your plans in a blink of an eye, but I don't give up and I'd like to know if I travel for a kind of long period of time (or how long could it be) if the government of other countries could provide us the medication paying an insurance or what would I have to do so I could be supported with the medicines I'm taking or in case of an emergency if they could help me. Is there a place where I can look for this information? My health provider doesn't help me at all because he tells me that I have to go every month for medication here, but I know there must be something more.

Sorry for the huge question, and I hope you can help me and thank you again!!

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Generally insurance coverage from one country will not cover prescriptions when you travel abraod. It is possible to buy supplemental insurance to cover you while you travel. If you get sick while traveling the Counsulate from your country should be contacted so that they can assist in arranging for care and treatment. Although many health insurance companies will pay "customary and reasonable" hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your expenses to transport you back home. It is best to carry a list of all your medications (generic names) and your medical history clearly written out. Carry all mediactions in their original bottles. If you need to refill your medications each month you may need to make an arrangement for the pharmacy or a friend/re;ative to ship your meds to you while you travel for an extended period of time.

I would be intersted in hearing back from readers about their experiences while traveling. I will pass these along.

Joe

Employer Carry Insurance for short term disability
KS