Took some St. John's Wort on atripla.

I was having some mild sore throat symptoms due to allergies and weather changes with the start of spring. I bough some natural throat spray to help with the symptoms I sprayed my throat about 6 times over the past 2 days. When I looked over the ingredients I saw that the last item was st john's wort. I immediately threw out the spray and will be much more careful in the future. How concerned should I be about the amount of st john's wort I consumed interfering with my treatment on atripla? I've been on treatment since my diagnosis a little over a year ago. The total amount of spray I used would be less than 1/4 of a teaspoon and the amount of the herb in that spray would be less. But is this enough to ruin my treatment?

Hello and thanks for your post.

Your right to question whether supplements might interfere with your HIV medications; frequently, their interactions are not well studied.

St. John's wort is one of the supplements that is known to interact with many HIV medications and as such, I generally don't recommend using wort (never mind that there is very limited high-quality evidence that their is benefit from it's use). In your case, the small amount for a brief period shouldn't have any significant detrimental effect on your HIV medications.

Hope that helps, BY

Using Selsentry to increase CD4 count
Antacids