The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv infection due to skin breaking
Apr 29, 2011

Hi Dr. i am so worried beacouse of situation here about hiv infection. i have itchy like(eczema like) problem on my leg region. i always itching and scratching on that region. due to scratching, there was cracks are developed.(there is a whitish spot is developed). during each scratches there is some blood is come out from that spot. once day during performing biological practical in my college, my friends finger is cut by knife and some blood is come out. after that he was put his finger into the water present in the glass for washing his blooded finger(near about 1 drop of blood is add in to the glass of water) after few minutes this water containing his blood is thrown on my right leg which have a itching spot( eczema like) is present. Before throwing the blood contaminated water, i scratch my this spot. and some skin was break due to this some blood is come out from it. my question is that if my friend is hiv infected then what is the chances of hiv infection.

Response from Dr. McGowan

The chance is very low. If the water was visibly bloody and was in contact with a fresh open wound then there could be some risk, IF your friend was infected with HIV. So the risk is theoretical. Also when the virus is doused in water it not only becomes diluted but will likley rupture. The water being so much more dilute than the cells cause them to break open and die. Would not worry about it.


peoples have some cracks on their lips
CD4 count

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint