peoples have some cracks on their lips

Hi Dr. due to cold condition here, many peoples have some cracks and wrinkle on their lips . and the some blood is given out from their lips cracks. i share my drinks with my friends(from my friends lips also the blood is given out) such as wine, whisky, soft drink, juice, and some time water also. during sharing these drinks, there were some possibility of attaching the some blood on the glass from lips. which is sharing by us. can this sharing of of glass is risky? what will be the chances of hiv infection? can we have to stop the sharing of the glass at given condition?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

Very early on in the epidemic work was done to determine what might be risky behavior to transmit HIV. Living with an HIV infected person, and normal household contact is not a risk for transmission. Sharing of a glass would not be a risky way to catch HIV. However, sharing of glasses is a very good way of spreading respiratory viruses such as influenza and rhinovirus and many others. It is a good idea, especially in a cold climate, not to share glasses for THAT reason, not the risk of HIV.

Joe

at risk or not and the need for pep here
hiv infection due to skin breaking