Apr 29, 2011
I am currently taking four antiretrovirals which I seem to tolerate very well. I was recently prescribed Levaquin for a sinus infection. When a CBC was run withing the week, my platelets had dropped. Do you feel that Levaquin can cause the platelets to decrease?
Response from Dr. McGowan
Thanks for the question.
Many drugs, including antibiotics may cause a drop in platlet counts. This has been reported with levofloxacin. It is rare but may indeed be the case. Usually the counts will come back up to normal quickly once the drug has been stopped.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Do People Get HIV From Sucking Penis?
- Getting HIV From Deep Kissing
- Black Spots After Anal Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Skin After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Penis After Anal Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.