Apr 29, 2011
Do you think that it is okay to take chinese herbs in conjunction with antiretrovirals?
| Response from Dr. McGowan
Thanks for your question.
There are possible interactions between herbal therapies and anti-HIV medications. Some common examples are St. John's wort will cause changes in tyhe blood levels of many anti-HIV medications such as protease inhibitors that may make then less effective. You should discuss all of your medications including herbal therapies with your treating clinicians to look for any potential interactions. There is a website that can help you look for drug interactions including some herbal therapies: http://www.healthline.com/druginteractions.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is There Anyone Who Use Herbs To Treat Hiv?
- What Herbs Interact With Hiv Medications?
- Achy Balls After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Vaginal Discharge After Anal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Touching Skin Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.