bDNA testing

My viral load is currently below the level of detection. I have been on meds for HIV for 22 years.At the beginning there was years of mono therapy of AZT. I believe that I must have some level of AZT resistance. Would bDNA testing tell me what level of resistance I might have? thanks from Toronto

Hello and thanks for your post from north of our border.

bDNA testing can quantitate levels of virus, but isn't commercially used (to my knowledge) to detect resistance mutations.

On the other hand, if you had "years" of AZT monotherapy, it's very likely that you have significant thymidine analog resistance mutations (TAMs). Such anticipated resistance has significant implications for the selection of treatments; but from the sound of your undetectable viral load, your doctors in Toronto have done an excellent job of navigating the resistance mutations.

I hope this helps and wish you well. BY

Stooped medication
Truvada & Isentress