HIHV & Warts

I've been positive for 25 years, and still haven't taken any regimens yet. No VL, HCV in remission since the second go-round, but my CD4 is just a bit below 200, 19%, .34. Anyway, probably related to this, I've been having an outbreak of warts on my face. It started with one about 12 years ago and they've been multiplying, and getting worse since I went below 200. My actual question is: what do you think about imiquimod for trying to get rid of this? Freezing and salicylic acid only work for so long, and aren't really working much at all anymore.

Hello and thank you for your post.

So that I'm clear, from your description, you're HIV treatment naive, but have an undetectable HIV viral load? If so, you're in the rare minority of patients. If I were taking care of you, I'd want to be sure about this status-- namely looking at alternative viral load tests such as bDNAs. The reason for this is that some patient's virus is poorly recognized by the standard RNA PCR test, but can be detected by bDNA testing.

That said, with your CD4 count around 200, low-ish CD4 percentage and progressively worsening symptoms of warts, it's probably time to start HIV medications.

Imiquimod (Aldara) might help, but in the end, papilloma virus (wart virus) disease is definitely worse in persons with low CD4s and therefore likely to be more responsive to HIV medications. Furthermore, your risk of other AIDS-related complications should be lowered.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write back anytime.

BY

HBV
diet