Doc stopped meds...how concerned should I be?

My mail order pharmacy delayed shipment of my meds causing me to be a week late to take them. The day I took them after the delay, I caught a severe allergic reaction causing me to go to the ER. My specialist took me off of my meds and required me to take new bloodwork. My visit is coming up and haven't taken meds in close to 4 weeks. How concerned should I be and what should I expect?

Hello and thanks for your post.

First, it is entirely reasonable to discontinue medications (including, if needed, all antiretroviral medications) in the event of a severe allergic reaction. This is one of the circumstances that clearly differs from the mantra of not stopping HIV meds; what's important is to stop all medications at the same time to avoid the possibility of effective mono- or dual medication treatment and the risks of developing drug resistance.

It's also very reasonable to monitor your clinical and laboratory health before resuming a new treatment. During this time, I'd hope that your health care provider is spending time sorting out which of your medications was responsible for the allergic reaction.

In this context, a delay of a month can be expected- such a delay shouldn't result in significant health problems. However, it's should be expected that your viral load may creep back up to detectable levels and your CD4 counts may decline somewhat. Not to worry, the principle goal now is to allow your body to recover from the drug reaction. Once your back on a better-tolerated regimen, things should return back to their expected paths.

I hope this helps, BY

Is it safe to crush or chew HIV meds?
HBV