Is it safe to crush or chew HIV meds?
Apr 7, 2011
Is it safe to crush or just chew HIV Meds if I have a sore throat and can't swallow?
Response from Dr. Young
It's generally safe to crush/chew HIV medications (tablet forms), provided that you're not taking sustained release formulations, like the new Viramune XR. Capsules can't be crushed.
An alternative is to take your medications with something like applesauce. This helps the swallowing for some.
Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Can Cause Blisters On Vagina Besides Herpes?
- What Can Cause A False Positive Hpv Test?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Through Unprotected Sex?
- What To Do If Treatment Did Not Work For Gonorrhea Or Chlamydia?
- Syphilis How Does It Affect Reproductive System
- Syphilis And The Immune System
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.