Is it safe to crush or chew HIV meds?
Apr 7, 2011
Is it safe to crush or just chew HIV Meds if I have a sore throat and can't swallow?
Response from Dr. Young
It's generally safe to crush/chew HIV medications (tablet forms), provided that you're not taking sustained release formulations, like the new Viramune XR. Capsules can't be crushed.
An alternative is to take your medications with something like applesauce. This helps the swallowing for some.
Be well, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Dry Cough After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Testicles After Touching Open Wound Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Jock Itch After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rectal Bleeding After Fingering Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Glands After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.