is the meds i was put on during pregnancy safe

i am from ireland.i contracted hiv when i was 18 i am now 25 i contracted hepatistis c at 21 years.i just had a baby in december. my cd4 was 340 and i was not previously on medication and was leading a healthy lifestyle and felt healthy. i was put on a combination of truvada and combivir during my pregnancy after 1 month my viral load went down to 1000 copies but my liver enzymes shot up to 600 to 700 and my liver had started to go into failure. the meds was discontinuted and the enzymes started to creep back down to date they are going up and down now i am on steriods entocort and ribavirin half the hepatitis treatment for a month. i am terrified that it will worsen the problem. i have little faith in the irish doctors. is this combination during pregnancy normal and safe and is what i am taking now safe.

Response from Dr. McGowan

I am sorry to hear what you have gone through and hope you get better soon.

It was a good idea to treat the HIV to prevent HIV transmission to your baby.

The combination of combivir and truvada would not be one that I would recommend. While zidovudine )part of combivir) is often used in pregnancy using lamivudine (the other part of combivir) and emtricitabine (half of truvada) together would not be recommended. These 2 drugs are essentially the same so using them together wouold add no benefit to treatment,

None of these drugs is cleared by the liver so it is unlikely that they directly caused a flare in your liver disease. Sometimes increases in CD4 count on treatment may cause flares.

Best, Joe

hiv crypto
how does one define "missing dosage" & drug vacation