effects of mutations

hi i was diagnosed hiv+ and have the A98G mutation however i have been advised and given by my doc to take atripla, i am a bit confused if atripla will work well for me because of the efv resistance soo far after 6 months on meds my viral load went from 35000 to 48 and cd4 from 300 to 340 i will really appreciate your help on this as its driving me crazy thanks alot

Response from Dr. McGowan

Thanks for your question.

The A98G mutation is considered a MINOR mutation that may effect the NNRTI (non-nucleaside reverse transcriptase inhibitors) nevirapine and delavirdine (no longer on the market). It would not be expected to effect your response to efavirenz, esepcially when you are also on 2 other active meds (the tenofovir and emtricitabine also contained in Atripla). You have had a great initial response to treatment, with an undetectable viral load at 6 months. Stay adherent to the meds to keep the block up. If your virus remains undetecable it is very unlikely that it will ever breakthrough as long as you keep the pressure on the virus.

Best, Joe

so worried
about window period